Jan 7, 2009

Ugly gun progress

So my buddy and his son came for coffee, bearing surprise gifts. Not one, but two, arched GI mainspring housings for the 1911A1 which is being carbinized. I needed only one spare to butcher, reserving the original  to put the old Colt back into GI shape.

The ensemble includes one mainspring but no caps, plungers nor pins. The latter I'll make, but I suppose I should get cracking on a search for the caps and plungers. Yeah, I could make them too, but it's awkward when the best lathe I own is a Makita 3/8 electrical drill.

Buddy's son claims they were mine in the first place, that I gave him a box of 1911 parts more than 20 years ago. I don't remember it, but maybe so. Military junk was cheap at the time. Heck, in the 70s you'd sometimes find a GI hammer in a dollar grab bag at the shows. But I hereby publicly thank you anyway, J. 

I'm still trying to find out who built the walnut  stock and 16 1/4-inch barrel.  Decent-enough quality, but no ID marks.

This is going to be one fearsome looking piece when finished, mostly a gawker.  I like that in lethal weaponry; like a Texas debutante with several pounds of hair and three ounces of eye shadow. I'm still trying to figure out a practical use for it. The gun, I mean. 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I assume that you, like me, bought one of those "carbine conversion kits" and then found that you were expected to grind away the back of your 1911 frame to get the shoulder stock to fit. I couldn't find many other posts on on your blog about this topic, and I will be interested to hear about your progress.

Can you direct me to any other web resources on this topic?