Jul 11, 2009

How quaint

From some garage or auction sale I have an old window fan, the small one with expandable sheet-metal wings designed to be placed under a sash open about ten inches. It's a supurb idea, particularly to exhaust a kitchen where garlic is popular. This morning mine started wheezing and stalling. I was distraught because they're hard to find. Then I remembered how we used to live and took a look. Sure enough, a little hole in the housing is marked, "oil."

Huh? Well of course I keep a can of 3-in-1 oil handy. Do you take me for a yuppie or something?

2 comments:

JohnW said...

Ah, 3-in-1, the cook's friend. I don't know about the "hard to find" fan you mention; the Home Depot by me has a whole shelf of them. Cheap, too. But do they fit my windows? Noooooooooooo.

Jim said...

I bet they're plastic, lack oil holes, and shriek like untuned samisens and sitars.