Oct 13, 2009

Hubris in Red Cloud's War

A knoll just beyond Lodge Pole Ridge where 79 American soldiers died with their ball-enhanced, judgement-deprived Captain William Fetterman. On Dec. 21, 1866, the entire command was suckered into ambush and wiped out by Sioux and Northern Cheyenne warriors of Red Cloud and Roman Nose near Fort Phil Kearny on the Bozeman Trail in northern Wyoming.

Fetterman had earlier bragged that with 80 cavalrymen he could "ride through the entire Sioux nation."


September, 2009

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now do you know what I mean by, "Do not go beyond that ridge?" JAGSC

Jim said...

Jagsc, I think I'll kick that comment up to a separate item when I get around to posting a picture or two of the Custer field. Fetterman and Squaw Killer shared a very casual attitude toward orders, the obedience of which would have kept a lot of good men alive.

Lisa: What a compassionate thing to say. Thank you. But I'll be doubled damned if I don't miss the Nikon Fs and Tri-x every time I even look at the little 3-volt cockroach.