Apr 3, 2010

Oliver Stone, Leonard DiCaprio, and Travis McGee

I may be a little late to this party, but the entertainment reporters are saying Stone may direct "The Deep Blue Good Bye" which, at last report, was to use child actor DiCaprio as Travis McGee.

I suppose Stone is okay, but I still can't see DiCaprio as Trav, although it's probably a better match than the unholy stupidity of trying to make Dean Martin a credible Matt Helm.

"Deep Blue . ..,"(1964)i s the first McGee, and there is no Meyer. I can't imagine who Hollywood would have cast as that saint.

6 comments:

JohnW said...

Meyer could only be Bob Hoskins. Now, for McGee...
Hell, if James Bond could be - as Ian Fleming stated - looking like Hoagy Carmichael, *I* could be Travis McGee! Gotta bulk up some. though...gulnedg

Jim said...

Very odd, John. I was thinking of proposing myself for the role. A good Mexican lift, hair transplant, few thousand worth of dental work, six weeks in a tanning salon, and losing 15 more pounds and who knows. Heck, I'd do it for Equity scale if Stone could find a young Kim Novak for Cathy. Now,if I can get Lisa to endorse this...

Can we glue enough hair on Hoskins?

JohnW said...

"Glue enough hair?" You're kidding, right? Hoskins is hairier'n Robin Williams. I'd always pictured McGee as the Jeff Chandler type, and I don't think any of today's Hollywood pretty boys fill that bill.

Jinglebob said...

Steve McQueen, but seeing as he is dead, the new young guy who looks liken him.

Doesn't matter as usual, they will totally screw it up anyway!

In the end, they will probably go with Samuel Jackson!

Roberta X said...

Not seein' it -- he's too short and too, well, himself.

Give him a few decades and maybe he can play Meyer.

Woody frikkn' Harrelson could'a done it, if he'd drop the stoner thing.

Papa Whiskey said...

Josh Hartnett as Trav. For some reason I keep thinking Zach Galifianakis would be a good Young Meyer if he could drop some of the goofiness.