Jul 14, 2010

Gunsmithing Simplified; More Colt Gun Pron














In quest of  greater accuracy, I have successfully completed installation of  a trigger shoe on that Colt I couldn't shoot yesterday.   Yes, it,  too,  was in the junk box. Yes, the hardest part was finding a hex wrench small enough. No, I won't bet much that it will, by itself, substantially improve my groups, but I do like shoes.

(You can't  see it, but the shoe is stamped "Herter's," so you know I am not trying to mislead you with hokum.)

4 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

I thought a trigger-shoe was a part of the rearward linkage. I really must get the Kuhnhausen 1911 books...

JohnW said...

I can't believe that no one has castigated you on having a shoe on a semi-auto. Yet.

Jim said...

DC: Gun nomenclature is snakier than Obama policy statements. I think most guys think of a 1911 trigger shoe as a trigger widener, but a Google session confirms you're right, that "shoe" is sometimes used to refer to the aft linkage -- as near as I can make out to the back of the stirrup.

John: They know I'm strictly old school. In the 60s and 70s you either screwed a shoe to your 1911 or you were Squaresville Sidney. I promise to take it off if I decide to make her a carry canon. :)

Seriously, I buy the notion that they improve a guy's traditional bullseye shooting, at least maginally. You're more likely to get a straight-back pull, and the trigger feels lighter.

NotClauswitz said...

Interesting...thanks!