Apr 18, 2011

King of the Wild Frontier

A lad just old enough for Cub Scouts would have loved finding it in the toe of his Christmas stocking,  a gin-yoo-ine Davy Crockett Barlow.  Later in life he scores, proving it's a good idea to rummage through the knife dealer's one-dollar junk box.




"Mary gave him a bran-new "Barlow" knife worth twelve and a half cents; and the convulsion of delight that swept his system shook him to his foundations. True, the knife would not cut anything, but it was a "sure-enough" Barlow, and there was inconceivable grandeur in that...."  Mark Twain




3 comments:

Captain Halitosis said...

That explains a line of a song I enjoy. Shady Grove by James Alan Shelton and some other fella. "When I was a little boy, I wanted a (Barlow) knife...."

Jim said...

Back when I deluded myself about being able to play the guitar, "Shady Grove" was a favorite. Doc Watson was the man to imitate.

Anonymous said...

I still have my Barlow. It's around here somewhere. JAGSC