Aug 9, 2011

Oh Hell, there goes the portfolio

Locked away with the canned meat and emergency medical supplies is my copper hoard, about ten pounds of pre-82 pennies.  Copper has fallen almost 7 per cent, to $4.10, and I am on the road to ruin.

Maybe worse, a forced trip to WalMart  yesterday triggers fear that the bulk packs of .22LR may be in danger as financial instruments. Winchester 555 packs have come down a dollar, to $18.97, the same as  the Federal and Remington 550s.  On the other hand, maybe Winchester is just correcting a marketing error. Perhaps the company couldn't make anyone believe the extra five rounds, the romance of the marque, and the  more colorful packaging  added up to an extra buck's worth of value. Still, the decline  gets my attention, and I'm sure glad I didn't buy any of these little beauties on margin.

---

Elsewhere on the economic front, the  markets this morning prove me an idiot. I sort of predicted a further slide, but the Dow was up a couple hundred points a few minutes ago.

My defense is that the president and Tim didn't make statements this morning, and politicians with their mouths closed are always bullish signals.

Besides, QE3 is back in the news. Ben and the guvs are looking for ways to buy more Obama bonds with magic money. True, they are having some trouble figuring out how to spin it as something else which they must do in view of the fact that a number of high school graduates are beginning to see through the scam.

(As Warren Buffet said, "If I own a printing press my debt is always good.")




No comments: