Feb 7, 2012

Geeky Malevolent Vampires

If you need someone to troubleshoot an SPS-10 radar, I'm you're man. Filament voltages checked and six-pound capicitors cheerfully replaced. I'll even climb the mast for preventive maintenance on the antenna and wave guide.

More lately, I have determined that modern electronic malfunctions are best thought of as supernatural phenomena.

When my iBook came home from the shop, the fresh hard drive corrected most problems, I assume because Rick's Computers down in Danbury has a pretty good -- but not perfect -- voodoo kit.  The old gal was smokin' hot on the web, but the Safari email program was still croaked.

After a week of messing with it to no avail I dripped a little fresh chicken blood on the keyboard and the GMVs fled. All is well, and I am serene.  Some might argue that downloading the latest Safari "fix" from Apple contributed to the solution. Maybe, but I remain skeptical.

---

I don't expect anyone to be very interested in Cold-War era radar, but it's almost worth clicking the link just for an example of perfectly true but quite meaningless statements:

"The SPS-10 surface search radar had a shorter range than other shipboard radars."

Duhhh. The only other common ship radar was for air search,  aimed higher and looking for higher targets.
 

2 comments:

Boat Guy said...

Oh man. SPS-10. We at least had a bootlegged LN-66 in the pilot house. Still my Mk 68 GFCS had LOTS of tubes and gears...

Jim said...

Can you imagine a bright young EW rating in a 21st Century CIC being presented with a radar unit equipped with gears?

I don't understand "bootlegged"in this context. I suppose you refer to "kumshawed" or "midnight requisitioned" or that fine old standby, "Repositioned Naval Assets."

:)