Aug 22, 2009

Domestica

1. On the south shore of the big lake is an ancient restaurant called the Gingham Inn. We do not eat there often enough, and when we do I keep forgetting to order the right thing. Last night we fixed that, and I am again reminded that a proper chicken fried steak is undoubtedly what God has for dinner.

2. The Dog Days of summer are a sultry misery to all Midwesterners. Except this year. For the eighth or tenth time in the Premier Summer of the Obama, I am burning wood.

3. Hedge apples do, in fact, repel spiders. Science be damned.


4 comments:

JohnW said...

Are you telling me that chicken fried steak - AKA "Repast Of The Gods" - is available north of the 40th parallel?
Oh, my head...I must go lie down.

Jim said...

You can get CFS about anywhere in the frozen north, probably a result of people who spent dere yoot watching Starsky and Hutch.

Getting a good one is rarer. We're just blessed that the local Gingham Inn bosses know something about creating lovely cardio-vascular emergencies.

Anonymous said...

If you're every in south Texas, the Old Spanish Trail cafe in Bandera makes the absolute best CFS I've ever had. I've actually thought about driving all the way there to get it again (and when I get a new bike, I just might; road-testing it, y'know).

Jim said...

It's been a hateful long time since I've been southwest -- or even south. Maybe this winter, and if I get within day of Bandera I'll give your place a try. Thanks for the addition to my bucket list.