Jul 14, 2011

Reloading note

A nice batch of .30 Carbine cases followed me home recently, and I started processing them last evening.  I didn't feel like dealing with the STP-on-a -pad mess. I dampened a rag with WD40 and wiped the cases. They resized butter-smoothly in what I think is an overly tight die.

I'd heard about the magic oil as case lube for a long time but never tried it. I'm a convert. It's cleaner, faster, and probably cheaper.

Note to self: You don't have a Lee dedicated taper crimp die for this caliber. Order one today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

but you will potentially kill your primers with oil-based lube!!! for plinking it doesn't matter I guess...

Jim said...

Any oil residue -- hopefully none on the inside or in the primer pocket -- will have plenty of time to dry before I seat primers.

Thomas said...

I like the Hornady One-Shot spray for 30 Carbine. 30 Carbine brass needs just a very little lube to get through a carbide sizing die. The Hornady spray is good enough to handle most resizing for "real" rifle cartridges like 223, 308, etc, and more than enough for 30 Carbine. And won't inert powder primers, although I still wipe it off afterwards.