Jul 13, 2013

Scoop of the day: Zimmerman rearmed

In the post-verdict evacuations, the most most entertaining -- though least useful  -- is the Huffington Post, output,  and I really think those silly geese are having a collective coronary event. I proffer as foundation the HuffPo lede headline: Zimmerman is  NOT GUILTY ... BUT NOT INNOCENT.

Yes, in huge flaming red, perhaps caused by a burst of legal/journalistic insight. Huff discovers that George Zimmerman wlll get his KelTec 9 back simply because he has never been found gulty of a disqualifying offense.

4 comments:

Spud said...

He is guilty of pursuing a confrontation. Which is against CCW rules of engagement here in Floriduh...

Stephen said...

But, since Stand Your Ground wasn't part of the charge, confrontational rules don't apply.

Spud said...

Therein lies a big mistake on the prosecutions approach. Tho they could still revoke his CCW permit and should in my opinion. This is the type action which may well cost us all our right to carry concealed. I did not state it was a Stand your ground violation. My statement only pertains CCW, which states you may not pursue a confrontation. Mark my words before this is all over we lose overall some of our rights.

Jim said...

It's possible to agree -- at least in part -- with both of your views, I think.

Even though Zimmerman did not rely on the SYG law , political forces have drawn it into the debate as a red herring and, I think, at least made it less likely that new state SYG laws will be enacted.

And at the risk of repeating myself, there's little doubt in my mind that Zimmerman displayed rather poor judgement.

We'll all have a better perspective on this in a few weeks or months, after we've begun to see how the political reaction plays out in a cooler emotional climate.