1. The disasters continue. The 15-year-old Sunbeam quit this morning. An emergency trip to WalMart for replacement. Naah. ... Head for Starbucks? Likewise, and besides, there isn't one in a hundred miles (another good reason to live here) . ... Go without coffee? Unthinkable. ... Dump a handful of grounds in a two-quart pan and let 'er boil? Bingo.
2. Someone is stealing firewood in New Hampshire. (Live Cold or Steal). A propane dealer in Nebraska is advising customers to burn wood. My Senator Grassley has written a courageous letter to the FTC, requesting public servants there to be on watch for propane price-gouging and other immoralities.
3. The Great of Room of the quarters here at Camp Jiggleview, of which In am Commandant, is 76 degrees courtesy of a slow oaken fire, boiling Folgers, and a little watery January sunshine beaming in through the big south window.
4. Today and early tomorrow won't be too bad, then comes a howling three-day-dirge -- the highest temperature to be zero and the low 19 below. Winds will turn a small Kia into a viable box kite.
5. During the coming week the average daily high advances one more degree, to 27, and the average low from 7 to 8. For the remainder of my mortal days I shall defecate on statistics.