Jan 26, 2010

Possessions

Of course it isn't even in the same universe as losing a person, but losing a useful thing also leaves scars, albeit tiny ones which surface rarely -- such as when a guy is reorganizing his Duluth Pack thwart bag.

---

The locale is the bottom of the Kawishiwishi River just downstream from a rapids you must portage around, in the lower pool which is marginally canoeable and a place where the walleyes bite.

There lies a heavy ditty bag with a Buck Yachtsman (folder, sheepfoot blade plus spike, now discontinued); a near new Leatherman basic, gift from my son; other lovingly selected do-dads for pleasure and survival in the far north Boundary Waters, along with an outstanding spin-casting rig. Several years later I have still not been able to assemble a kit that satisfies me so much.

On the other hand, said son and his son survived nicely, and the lad, Ryan, gave me a favored memory. The three of us safely ashore and the Kevlar emptied out, he stopped shivering long enough to gather his c. 7-year-old thoughts, stared me sternly in the eye and reported: "Grandpa! We tipped over!"



2 comments:

Dave said...

This is one of my favorite Ryan memories as well. Absolutely terrifying at the time for a few moments, but heartwarming now. The ditty bag is still there, I'm sure. Next time we'll have to tote some SCUBA stuff in and see if we can bring it up.

Jim said...

SCUBA could be a little iffy in those parts. :)

I'm content to leave my small treasures as they lie, a tribute to Iktomi.

But, damn, do I miss that Buck.