Apr 12, 2010

The Wonderful and Talented Me

The '94 SRC has nothing to do with this tale, and the tube full of 170-grain jacketed RNs was not meant for pesky inspectors coming around to see if I rehabbed my deck to current building code whims. I just put it there for the picture because I think it looks pretty leaning against the rustic seat framed with old-growth redwood four-by-fours.

It rests on the brand new planking which, in turn, is spiked to three railroad ties which have been underfoot for years. The project and the cleanup occupied a very long Saturday. It is a measure of my stalwart character that I decided to do the deck rather than attend a nearby auction of 200 guns and lots of ammo and accouterments.

Visiting here never actually put you in jeopardy of crashing through the old deck as you waited for my orderly to grant admittance to my quarters. But you could be forgiven for entertaining the fear. It was getting a little wobbly. A few observations:

--Wrestling railroad ties is, ideally, a job for husky young privates, but mine are all on leave.

--Tearing out the old planks exposed some teary nostalgia triggers. I'd forgotten that JJ, the tri-lingual black lab (RIP), would occasionally lose tennis balls and Frisbees under there, further back than I could retrieve with the rake. And then there was Dad's blaze orange practice golf ball.

--After a certain point, hammering large nails requires arm-muscle endurance beyond what I have. You lose that little snap at the end of the stroke. So you go to the shop and retrieve a two-pound ball peen hammer, and that gets you through the project.

You should all come and visit. I'll bask in the knowledge that you will return to your own commands and make me famous throughout the Service: "Wow. That TMR fellow really has a solid deck now! What a guy!"




5 comments:

Hilary said...

Still not done. Missing is the Welcome mat and flower pot placed on a corner. Perhaps even a boot scraper? Is the gun prop permanent?

Jinglebob said...

Send instructions on how to get there and next time I am close, I will stop in.

You must do the same here.

Jim said...

Naah. The gun stays in the vault most of the time. I just git it out when I no some snoopy burohcrat from Washentun is commin.

The welcome mat is out, but no flower pot. This ain't no pansy place.

J'bob, can you try to email me at
alongfordmick(at)yahoo(dot)com

I always say yes to sharing the smell of burned powder and old bourbon. :)

JohnW said...

A "Welcome" mat? If I had one it'd say "Come Back With A Warrant."

Jim said...

Yeah.

But not as good as the one instructing Publishers Clearing House to leave the check under the mat. ;)