Sep 4, 2010

Generous Iowa

As I mentioned recently, my pride is unbounded in the self-sacrificing spirit of the Hawkeye State. We give you corn, soy beans, presidents, and a culture of Grant Woodism for your sophisticated amusement. But I was especially taken with a morning headline reporting that Indianapolis is  a special  beneficiary of our sharing spirit.

It reads "Apes Leave Des Moines, Become Hoosiers," because our "Great Ape Trust"* is sending four Orangutans to the Indianapolis zoo.

I speculated the gift might well be two legislators,  a governor, and our DNR director.

Reading the whole story sort of spoils the fun. What you're really getting is something like that, only hairier.

---

*Yes, we have one. Don't ask.

3 comments:

Tam said...

Oh, great.

These aren't face-eating monkeys, are they? You know how I feel about face-eating monkeys.

Roberta X said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roberta X said...

New Mayor, new Public Safety Direction, new Police Chief -- and a spare, just in case.

C'mon, they're quiet (well, quietish), professional, look good in somber colors.... Heck, I'd vote for them.