Feb 26, 2011

With me loophole on me shoulder

No one else in the  Smugleye Irregulars lusts to hit the Fort Dodge loophole  today, so I'm passing too. That's manageable if I can steel myself into cramming a full quota of weekend loafing into a single Saturday. That would leave me free to attend an auction-style loophole tomorrow .

The offerings are uninspiring and include a real-live Rohm RG10. I have done many reprehensible things, but owning one of those once upon a poverty-stricken time is among the most shameful.

Otherwise the handguns include a stainless Taurus revolver in .22 magnum on which my top bid would be in the $75 range, and that only on grounds that I might quickly find a Greater Fool.  I have never understood the caliber except as a marketing con -- a few hundred extra  FPS over the .22 LR at about three times the cost, and unreloadable.

A Hungarian called  PA63 -- which certainly lacks the pizzazz of a name like  Zsa Zsa --  is offered in .380 ACP. The internet peddlers suggest I could pay about $160 if it's nice, but I won't.  Don't like that caliber either.

Otherwise it is a barnyard pile of hardware-store shotguns, pump and singles. I pick those up if they're cheap and have been known to chop the barrels to 18 1/2 inches, remove the patina with a wire wheel, and paint them flat black. (Krylon. Always insist on quality!) Extra loopholes on me shoulders against a putative risin' o' the moon.

But I'm really going to try for the WW2 stuff -- GI dog tags and "German medical kit." We'll see.

4 comments:

Tam said...

"I have done many reprehensible things, but owning one of those..."

Wow! You think you know somebody...

Joel said...

Don't let her get you down, Jim. We've all done shameful things in the past.

I picked up a PA63 a couple of years ago (in Makarov, not .380 ACP) and despite my original dubiosity I've grown rather fond of it. It comes with me when I need to CC, though it serves little other purpose.

JohnW said...

I hit the GMA Crossroads of the West fun show today, and as always it was educational. Apparently "GI" = price starts with a 1 and goes up from there. (Save for a guy with two (!) tables of 03/A3's circa 6-700 dollars.) Oh, and dealers with Savage 99s consider the model number the MSRP. And, no, that's not under a Benjamin. Oddly enough there wasn't any run on either standard capacity magazines or the extended ones. So there's that. Oodles of pricey ammo, but none in any caliber I was interested in. EBRs seem to be coming down, but since when do K-Bars command three-figure prices?
Best t-shirt of the show was an outline of backpackers with the caption "Always carry a compass - its hard to eat your friends."

Jim said...

I understand a nice, clean, 1944 issue Ka-Bar wth sheath commanding three figures. I don't understand guys around here asking that much for grinding wheel survivors with the profile of a used filet knife.