Apr 6, 2011

Government Shutdown Crisis

If you're a little confused about this, maybe a snippit of personal history will help ease your mind.

I was present in Washington for the great U.S.Government hiatus of 1984.  I personally observed that the White House groundskeepers were not at work and that public access to the Washington Monument was denied. The latter frustrated several Greyhound loads of tourists.

When all the  players had milked the crisis for all the PR it was worth, things went back to normal.  You could climb the monument stairs, and President Reagan once more had the nicest lawn in the neighborhood.

I can't foresee a Great Shutdown of 2011 being much different.

3 comments:

SpeakerTweaker said...

My wife is a Civil Servant (military medical support), so this one is a little more important to my world. We're looking at a few weeks without that second paycheck, so we're keeping a careful eye on things at the moment.

That said, I'm all for letting it all come to a grinding halt. I was for letting the Big Three Domestic Crap-machine-erias go belly up, and it's much for the same reason.

If I operated my budget right now like the fed.gov has been running theirs, I'd take this opportunity to start two small businesses and buy a Cadillac.



tweaker

Jim said...

I'm in a related situation. A young man I love takes a civilian defense establishment paycheck. So our libertarian principles are at odds with our personal hopes.

The hopes probably aren't in great immediate danger. The armed foces, and the people who support them, tend to be somewhat shelded from this kind of politial theater. Of course the puppet masters are quite capable of writing a new act.

SpeakerTweaker said...

So our libertarian principles are at odds with our personal hopes.

If there are truer words, sir, I am not aware of them.



tweaker