Jun 28, 2011

The Good Old Summer Time

No one was handy to take my picture, and I suppose that is a good thing. The internet is spared an image of me dripping an algae/water ooze while festooned with water weeds.

The lake rose so far that the dock was underwater and unusable. Since my native modestly rejects being called pierless,  I put on swim pants and flipper slippers and armed myself with two big wrenches to handle the hardware attaching deck to posts.

Six of the posts were in water not more than navel deep. The other two were in water to my neck. There's a certain leverage challenge in loosening rusty bolts at that level of bouyancy, but at least I'm in practice if NASA ever requires my assistance in a maintenance space walk on the  ISS.

Y'all can come fishin' up here now, y'hear?

---

Next challenge: See  if the new plug will make the Stihl run. EDIT: Beautifully.

2 comments:

Chaplain Tim said...

Been there, done that with the father-in-law's dock. Rebuilt it last summer and placed a dozen posts in the mud. The deep end was well over my head and I'm 6' 2". Note: cordless drills are much safer to use in water when drilling new holes in the wood but they don't float worth a damn.

ranamacar

Jim said...

Yep. The guy who brings a bouyant Makita to market will be a made man.

I had an easier time of it. The Camp J dock uses 2-inch steel post with brackets on the wooden deck frames. Large set screws hold the deck in place. Sort of. If the kids don't pretend it's a trampoline.