Apr 12, 2012

Adventures in consumer land

1. The ammunition shortage has boosted the price of Federal 550 packs  of .22LR by a buck, to $19.97. Similarly cheap-skate, hundred-round, 12-gauge value packs are still $22.97, however. My Armageddon stash was already at the goal, but I bought a little of each on general principles.

2. Also at WalMart I discovered that Velcro is available in "MilSpec" camo. (Of course I didn't, and it is unkind of you to even ask.)

3. At the Government Motors dealership, a computerized spare key for the More Dependable Truck set me back a litlte over thirty dollars. I inquired as to the procedure for disabling the furshlugginner anti-theft system and was laughed at. To which I replied that it is a theft enabling system for GM dealers.

4. Appropos both vendors, the Velcro from WalMart was necessary because  of a Government Motors design error. The MDT has a bench seat with a flip down console with a generous tray for holding junk. The tray has no cover, meaning when you flip it up all the crap falls generously to the floor behind the seat.  (Good thinking, Mr. President.) The libertarian solution is an old clip board, painted to match the stylish black of the factory plastic, hinged with black Gorilla tape, held closed with Velcro dots.

It's nice to be back home.

2 comments:

Firehand said...

Couple of years back a friend was showing me the new Nissan van he'd bought, which included(as I recall) three sets of keys, which included a 'valet' key, which would open the drivers door and start the engine but open no other door.

I asked what spares cost; well, if you lost some keys they wouldn't make a replacement: you had to pay for a new ignition module and set of keys, for about three hundred bucks.

Jim said...

That happened to a woman I know. She lost both keys to her new Jeep and forked over something like $500 for the new magic ignition box. About the time her check to the Jeep scammers cleared, she found the original keys. She's a solid Christian woman, but I assume her words were stronger than, "Oh, my goodness." :)