Jan 25, 2013

My right to be Joe Namath

I was a disabled kid in high school, not quite big enough to play tackle, not quite quick enough to pull out of line from guard position.   Coach Eyefergit didn't exactly cut me, but he made it plain that I'd be spending a season on the cold, hard bench. So I became a debater. Nerdsville. My psyche still hasn't recovered.

Little did I know Coach was violating my rights. Washington was slow on this one, but now they've fixed it.

"... the new directive from the Education Department's civil rights division explicitly tells schools and colleges that access to interscholastic, intramural and intercollegiate athletics is a right."

Anyone who doesn't try to make life better for disabled people is a despicable human. Any bureaucrat who assigns a special category of varsity victimhood to kids who already have enough troubles is a fool.

---

If you RTWT you'll probably get a vision of thousands of local schools scratching their heads and wondering how the Hell you implement something like this, and at what cost.

Maybe I'll be back later today, but right now I need to read the Constitution again. I must have missed the part that says the U.S. Department of Education has the authority to decree rights.

If it does, why doesn't it decree that that young folks have the right to be taught to read?





No comments: