Jun 18, 2013

The Left-Handed Gun

My youngest heir and assign -- who is everything you could possibly want in a lad --  soon becomes a legal adult. He intends to celebrate his emancipation with his first very-own-bought-it-myself-center-fire rifle.  A respectful young man, he has been seeking my counsel. (OK, maybe he's just humoring me, but I prefer to think otherwise so never mind.)

It's complicated  because he shoots from the wrong side, limiting his selection in bolt guns and sending him in search of pumps and semi-autos. I've been trying to steer him away from autos, apparently not very successfully.

Last evening's exchange was about his newly discovered lust for a Remington Model 8 (!). I understand. It is admittedly a beautiful rifle in a findy sickle sort of way, so an admirable share of Gramps' penchant for tradition remains alive in the blood line.









I suppose that's balanced by an equal ratio of willfulness, so he may actually wind up with one despite my gentle suggestion that  this JMB-design is now a better collector than it is a shooter. For instance, you need ammo in the midst of a mulie hunt down in the  high Uncompahgre desert. Do you really think you can find a box of .25-.35 at the one-pump gas station, bar, and trading post over on the reservation road jeep trail?

The discussion continues. I'll see what I can do about pointing him at a Remington 760 or the like while we look hard for a proper wrong-side bolt-action. Wish me luck.

---

I like semi-autos just fine.  I also like the ideas of (a) greater field dependability of hand-operated guns and (b) a young man concentrating on careful one-shot marksmanship before he gets too ratatattatty.

---

EDIT: An astute  reader questions .25-.35. It's a little obscure but the reference is ".25 Remington (also called .25-.35)..."



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. It is available in a left handed model.

Ryan Farrell said...

Well, I may have been over zealous in my email last night. It's not the only gun I desire I just think it happens to be a pretty gun. :)

Ryan Farrell said...

Well, I may have been over zealous in my email last night. It's not the only gun I desire I just think it happens to be a pretty gun. :)

JohnW said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

John W said:
Pay no attention to your grandfather, Ryan; he has thought many thoughts over the years and his brain is worn out of spec. That Remington is gorgeous and drool-worthy beyond words. You're as likely to find .25 Remington at Kyle's Bait & Sushi as you are any other caliber - these days *more* likely - as any of the more common calibers. That said, since you're a southpaw I'd recommend a lever action of some sort. I'm partial to Savage 99s and Winchester 94s, but that's just me.

Jim said...

Pay no attention to JohnW, Ryan. He's lived in the Sonora desert so long his brain is baked out of spec. Oh, I suppose it's okay to heed him if you want a rifle on which to drool rather than shoot. That's why all his weapons are rusty. We're not like that, are we?

Exception. His Zonie point on levers is apt, the ones mentioned plus Browning BLRs and Marlin 36s.

Anonymous said...

Being sinestral myself, I appreciate the conundrum.
But, the decision is in his hands, and if it's a mistake, he will learn from it.
And, it's NOT wrong handed!
:-)

gfa

Anonymous said...

Wrong side? Why? It doesn't change the rotation of the bullet. Back when I was a sprout, my first gun was a Daisy pump. I'm naturally right handed, but I have a bad right eye. After a few years of leaning over the Daisy to sight with my left eye, I graduated to a .410. Getting the barrel release in my nose a ccouple of times led me to think through the process. As a result, I taught myself to shoot long guns left handed. I now have a Remington Mod. 70BDLLH in .270 and a Remington Mod. 760 in .243. Both have taken game. The one drawback to firing a "convential" rifle lefthanded was getting a few hot 30-06 casings down my shirt collar from firing a Garand. JAGSC

wrm said...

Depending on what you want to take on, the Savage 99 in 300 Savage is IMO drool worthy, friendly towards the sinister, and as far as I know they can be had for a reasonable price on your side of the pond.

And as Anonymous said, one does get boltguns in sinister configuration if needs be. Boltguns are good but have no soul.

(Yes, my brain is probably both worn and fried, but while I own a dozen + leverguns, two semis (22 Browning and Garand) and two bolts (22 CZ and 300 Winmag), I am still in the market for leverguns.

wrm said...

wrm from www.retro.co.za here, BTW, looks like if you log in via giggle you get anonymated.

Jim said...

Right on, WRM. In fact, I gave the lad in question a Henry .22 a few year's back. Not to mention being tickled at finding a Savage 99 for a friend about the same time. For about $250. (!) The next one I see at that price is mine.