Oct 13, 2013

Enduring the gun show loophole

It's hard to be bored at a gun show. but we're managing it. Maybe the fine weather is keeping people outdoors. Maybe the promoter didn't promote well. Maybe folks already have all the guns they want.

Dunno, but my entire gross proceeds so far are represented by a single-action .22 from Germany -- better than an RG but a couple of parsecs shy of a Colt.

(Pretty enough and only forty-five bucks because it wouldn't stay cocked and the cylinder wouldn't rotate. Putting the trigger spring back where it belonged fixed the cock problem, and a new hand spring will put the rest in order. It will still be a POS, but a functional POS, and for the price that's about all a guy can ask. I see it living in an old sock under a front seat, like a spare Linus blankie.)

---

My co-conspirators at our three tables had just about the same level of excitement. Our traffic averaged four or five tire-kickers an hour, but Sundays are usually slower so perhaps we won't have to keep up the frenetic pace today.

The real disappointment is the dearth of anything very interesting. A guy gets tired of being surrounded by professional FFLs trying to move Glockszenklones and plastic assault rifles all dolled up in pretty pastels.

And I'm really getting tired of my junk boxes. I just threw a bunch of plastic grocery bags in the van. They'll rest beside the over-flowing totes with a notice that you can fill one up for, I dunno, ten bucks, maybe five, certainly less in the final hour. Or maybe some other hobbyist is as bored with his miscellaneous goodies as I am. We could exchange stuff on a pound-for-pound basis.

---

I knew this government shutdown would lead to tragic times.









3 comments:

Nan said...

Maybe you've saturated the market. Supposedly there are more guns than people in the U.S. now; the reality could be that you're just running out of customers.

Jim said...

Assuming there is about one gun per person in America, I'd say we're abut half way to the ideal. ("One is none, Two is one." chanted to the tune of "Oh What a Happy Prepper Am I.")

But your "you" may be out of place if you mean, literally, me. I hardly ever sell guns. I buy the occasional killer if was made of steel, preferably more than 60 years ago. and bears some relationship to the important history of man's social interactions -- with protein or with one another.

Jim

Nan said...

Meant "you" collectively, as in the vendors in general at the show.