Nov 17, 2013

The National Grieving

It has already begun, the annual Niagara of tears for the loss of our Great Leader, a grieving this year made more significant by one of the magic-number anniversaries. It happened fifty years ago come Friday.

I am prepared, handkerchiefs laundered and stacked at the ready. My screen glows with multiple Windex treatments so I miss no detail of the video tributes to the man who illuminated the planet and would have saved it but for the mischance of death.

Already written and on the blog queue is a finely detailed account, some nine thousand words after the most brutal editing and condensation. It explains to a breathlessly awaiting world exactly where I was and what I was thinking on that tragic Day the Music Died.

It is most somber.

November 22, 1963, the death of Aldous Huxley.

C.S. Lewis, too.


2 comments:

John said...

I'm glad to find I'm not the only one tired of the idol worship.

He was a man elected to a public office, not a king.

I was born in late '65, so the murder of JFK is as significant to me as the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec 7 1941.

Anonymous said...

I became an investigator, in part because of the missteps following the JFK killing.
He was largely ineffectual, and surprisingly conservative in many ways.
MY concern was and is the shift of power, mea culpa, and the massive covering up that followed.
And for a drug-abusing whore monger, he had style...

gfa